Some quick and dirty notes on what went down at the annual extended scrimmage based on reports from the beat writers on hand and from a few select JetsFixers (thanks to ANTWAN and DJF):
- A list of players who did not participate: Kevin Pierre-Louis, Marcus Maye, Parry Nickerson (tweaked hammy), Deon Simon (lower leg injury), Jeremy Clark, Kacy Rodgers II, Charone Peake, Terrelle Pryor, Quincy Enunwa (thumb injury), Jordan Leggett (lower leg wrapped), Austin Golson, Kelvin Beachum (right ankle in a boot), David Bass, Steve McLendon and Cairo Santos;
- With Santos on the sideline, Taylor Bertolet showcased his leg by easily nailing a 57-yarder;
- ArDarius Stewart had three drops in drills;
- Nathan Shepherd, Mike Pennel, Frankie Luvu, Brandon Copeland, Doug Middleton, Ben Ijalana (at left tackle for Beachum), Tre McBride and Jonotthan Harrison (at right guard for Brian Winters) were in the starting line-up for the team period;
- Dropped passes in the team session came from Isaiah Crowell, Thomas Rawls, Neal Sterling and Charles Johnson;
- Foley Fatukasi had a would-be sack and Xavier Cooper had a strip-sack on Sam Darnold;
- Jonah Trinnaman and Clive Walford made nice downfield catches;
- Teddy Bridgewater threw a touchdown pass to Trenton Cannon who made some good moves after the catch;
- Dakota Dozier also took some reps with the first team at left tackle. Antonio Garcia was on the second unit;
- Darron Lee's young buddy - lymphoma survivor Gio Toribio - came on for one play and ran for a touchdown.
Now for details from the live scrimmage portion of practice:
- McCown - under pressure from Copeland - threw a 51-yard TD to Bilal Powell who had lined up wide. This would be McCown's only drive as Bridgewater and Darnold alternated thereafter;
- Garcia gave up sacks to Copeland and Xavier Cooper and Henry Anderson pressured Bridgewater into a throw away. Leonard Williams also had a sack, beating Ben Braden;
- Cannon showed good burst on an outside run but Bridgewater's first drive ended in a punt;
- Darnold's first drive saw him connect with Herndon a couple of times but the drive stalled after Fatukasi stuffed a run in the backfield;
- Spencer Long had a couple of bad snaps on Bridgewater's next drive, which stalled;
- Darnold's next drive was highlighted by a 30-yard connection to Sterling, a Cannon catch and run and a Darnold third down scramble. After getting inside the red zone, the drive stalled;
- Bridgewater's next drive saw him convert on third and long with a pass to Chad Hansen and then find Lucky Whitehead over the middle. His touchdown to Hansen didn't count because the officials credited Xavier Coleman with a sack off the edge and the drive stalled again;
- Lawrence Thomas had a long catch and run negated by a penalty on Darnold's next drive but Cannon's nice run and a catch by Walford got the chains moving. After he fumbled a snap which Mych Thomas recovered the Jets gave him a mulligan;
- His next drive opened with a roll-out and completion to Walford, but that drive stalled too after a nice Trinnaman catch was negated by a penalty because he pushed off;
- They gave Darnold yet another drive after this one, his third in a row but he came up empty again.
Overall, after they scored a touchdown on the first drive, the Jets came up empty on the next eight, five of which saw Darnold at the helm.