The Jets held Christian Hackenberg out of practice during today's first OTA session on the field. Now we know why:
Bowles: QB Christian Hackenberg has been traded to Oakland for a 2019 conditional 7th-round pick.— New York Jets (@nyjets) May 22, 2018
Basically, they're giving him away for nothing to a team that has some interest in getting a look at him. They'll presumably only receive the pick if Hackenberg develops into a contributor and sees time with the Raiders next year.
In other news from day one:
- Quarterback Sam Darnold had some struggles, including a couple of interceptions, but - as you'll know if you read our in-depth scouting report yesterday - we've been anticipating some growing pains from him;
- Ahead of Darnold, Josh McCown predictably got the most reps, but the better news was that Teddy Bridgewater was also a full-go and didn't seem physically limited;
- Bucky Hodges was reportedly not in attendance;
- Players getting first team reps included Jonotthan Harrison, Anthony Wint, Nathan Shepherd and Henry Anderson;
- Players singled out for praise by the media included Leonard Williams, Chad Hansen, Kevin Pierre-Louis and Trumaine Johnson; and
- Wide receiver Terrelle Pryor wasn't present as reports indicated he's re-injured his ankle. Hopefully he'll be ready by training camp.