On Saturday afternoon, at 3pm E.T., there's a key college all-star game as the East-West Shrine game takes place in St. Petersburg, Florida. It's also a good opportunity for any stand-outs to earn themselves a late invitation to senior bowl week.
The Jets always play close attention to these games, having drafted the likes of Dylan Donahue, Elijah McGuire and Folorunso Fatukasi after seeing them participate in recent years and Mike Maccagnan is reportedly going to be there again.
Here's a non-exhaustive list of some of the guys we're looking forward to seeing:
- Lamont Gaillard, C/G, Georgia - LSU head coach Ed Orgeron once called Gaillard the best center he's seen in his entire career. He'll need to convince pro teams of his strength and anchor, but apparently has had a good week of practice and the Jets are one of several interested teams.
- Joshua Miles, OL, Morgan State - Miles is a small school prospect who has made a name for himself this week by holding his own against some defensive players other linemen have struggled to handle.
- Oli Udoh, G, Elon - Another small-school prospect, Udoh was apparently impressive in practice this week and has some good size. The Jets interviewed Udoh during the week.
- Bunchy Stallings, G, Kentucky - Stallings is a punishing run blocker who had a good season in the SEC, but surprisingly got off to a slow start at practice this week.
- Terry Godwin, WR, Georgia - Godwin was a standout at practice, impressing with his ability to get open. He'll be hoping to make a few plays in the game itself. Again, the Jets interviewed with him.
- Jordan Brailford, LB, Oklahoma State - Another player who interviewed with the Jets was Brailford who is best known as an edge rusher having racked up 10 sacks last year. However, he's versatile enough to play any linebacker position and could be a good fit as a SAM in a 4-3 base.
- Ryan Davis, WR, Auburn - Davis is another player the Jets interviewed during the week and he's another who has seen his stock go up after a week of practice.
- Sione Takitaki, LB, BYU - Takitaki - who interviewed with the Jets during the week - had an extremely impressive performance in the Cougars' bowl game. He was officially credited with 19 tackles, including three for loss, one of which was a sack.
- Mathieu Betts, EDGE, Laval - Betts was a relative unknown, but has reportedly been unstoppable in practice and will hope to further boost his profile by creating some pressure in today's game.
- Michael Jackson, CB, Miami - After measuring up with almost 33" arms, Jackson can continue to boost his stock with a strong end to the week and good athletic numbers in the coming months. He's being talked about as a possible day two pick.
- Matt Sokol, TE, Michigan State - Sokol won't be a high pick, as he only caught eight passes and had three drops in 2018, but he's got some legitimate promise as a blocker and did catch 21 passes last year so may have more value as a safety valve option than perceived.
Share your thoughts on guys you're interested in seeing (and feel free to post gifs and YouTube clips) and discuss the game itself in the comments section below...