The Jets were on the field for the another practice on Tuesday with the media on hand. This was the first practice of their mandatory minicamp.
Before practice, Robert Saleh told the media that he expects every player to be ready to go at training camp at the end of July, including Mekhi Becton.
Here's what went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:
- All 90 players on the roster reported to minicamp;
- In attendance but not practicing today were Quinnen Williams and Ashtyn Davis;
- The following players did not practice but were in the rehab area: Blake Cashman, Bless Austin, Dan Brown, Jeff Smith, Jonathan Marshall, Ronald Blair, Mekhi Becton, Marcus Maye and Chuma Edoga;
- Players getting first team reps on offense, mainly due to injuries, included Conor McDermott, Keelan Cole, Ace Carter and Tyler Kroft;
- Players getting first team reps on defense, again mainly due to injuries, included Nathan Shepherd, Hamsah Nasirildeen, Jason Pinnock, Brandin Echols and JT Hassell;
- Corey Davis took part in team drills for the first time and caught a 20-yard pass from Zach Wilson on the first play of 11-on-11's;
- Wilson also hit Ryan Griffin for a good gain;
- In 7-on-7's Wilson completed four of five passes with a Kenny Yeboah drop being the only incompletion. He connected with Yeboah, Chris Herndon and Elijah Moore twice, including a diving catch;
- The backups completed five of five between them in the first 7-on-7's session;
- In the second 11-on-11 sessions, the offense struggled to move the ball and Echols intercepted Wilson on a deflected pass;
- Wilson bounced back in 7-on-7's with Moore making a great catch on his deep ball over Bryce Hall;
- Ace Carter made a spectacular one-handed catch for a TD on a wheel route from Mike White in 7-on-7's;
- Wilson threw another interception to Jason Pinnock in the third 11-on-11 session, but this one was off Vyncint Smith's hands;
- He completed one pass in the session, to Braxton Berrios under pressure from Vinny Curry;
- Smith redeemed himself with a great TD catch on a long James Morgan pass;
- The next 7-on-7 period was uninspiring but then they moved onto red zone work and Wilson hit Berrios, Denzel Mims and Kroft for touchdowns. Brandin Echols broke up a pass and CJ Mosley stopped the receiver short on the other two attempts;
- Ace Carter beat Deuce Carter for a touchdown; and
- Practice concluded as Keelan Cole beat Justin Hardee to catch a Mike White touchdown pass.
Mini-camp is scheduled to run until Thursday but Saleh already confirmed the team will not practice and will just have meetings on that day. Tomorrow should therefore be the last practice until camp.