The Jets were on the field for practice on Wednesday with the media on hand. This was the first practice of training camp.
Here's what went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:
- Not participating were Zach Wilson (contract), George Fant (Covid reserve), Vinny Curry (NFI), Quinnen Williams (PUP), Ashtyn Davis (PUP) and Kyle Phillips (PUP);
- Mike White, Ace Carter, Tyler Kroft and Keelan Cole all opened up as starters with the first team offense.
- Later on, Tevin Coleman was the first man up with the starters at running back;
- Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios and Denzel Mims opened up as the second team receivers;
- White and Morgan's first series was mostly handoffs. White completed a checkdown to La'Mical Perine and James Morgan hit Daniel Brown on the rollout. Carter had the best run of the period;
- The second period was a mixture of short passes and incompletions, including a JT Hassell breakup, but White did hit Kenny Yeboah for a nice gain to end the period;
- Coleman broke a nice run behind Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker to open the next period;
- Perine also had a big run on a well-blocked play but the defensive line also stopped a couple of runs;
- Moore picked up good yardage on a Morgan pass but then Mims let one go through his hands;
- White seemed to warm up near the end with good passes to Moore on an out route and to Chris Herndon on an acrobatic downfield catch;
- Morgan also finished strong with a good gain to Lawrence Cager; and
- In the kicking gauntlet, Chris Naggar made three of four but Sam Ficken missed three of four.
After practice, Robert Saleh gave a few injury updates. Williams is expected back in a week-to-10 days and he's not concerned about him being ready for the regular season. However, Davis and Curry are expected to miss the season opener but should be back for week two.
He also confirmed that Bryce Hall was absent because he had personal leave because he's about to become a father and that 81 of the current roster are fully vaccinated with players signing up all the time.
There is another practice tomorrow at 10:20 a.m. ET. Check back here for more of the same.