The Jets were on the practice field over the road from Lambeau Field on Wednesday for the first of two scheduled joint practices with Saturday night's preseason opponent, the Green Bay Packers.
One piece of roster news that broke as practice was getting underway:
G Alex Lewis has decided to retire, per source. Was eliminated from playing for any team in 2021 last week when #Jets placed him on reserve/left squad list. In theory, could try comeback in ‘22, but it remains to be seen whether he has any desire to play again, source said.— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) August 18, 2021
He already didn't count towards the roster limit so this move has no effect on the Jets. He had $1 million in guaranteed salary which presumably the Jets will no longer be on the hook for but, depending on the circumstances surrounding his departure, could end up paying him anyway.
Here's what went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:
- Lamarcus Joyner has been dealing with back spasms, so did not practice;
- In addition to Joyner, Elijah Moore, Jason Pinnock, Jabari Zuniga, Ryan Griffin, Chuma Edoga and Justin Hardee also missed practice.
- Alijah Vera-Tucker was in pads and did individual drills so he is getting close. Braxton Berrios apparently returned to practice yesterday in the non-media walkthrough;
- The Jets ran five plays on offense in the first team period with the only pass incomplete. Johnson had a good run on the last play;
- The Packers first series went nowhere although they almost connected on a deep ball;
- Morgan Moses was injured and limping badly in the next series. George Fant replaced him but Moses later returned;
- Zach Wilson completed a touch throw over the top to Chris Herndon for 11. Wilson was under pressure from Preston Smith who was going against Mekhi Becton;
- The Packers had some success on the ground, including on a jet sweep, on their next series, then Aaron Rodgers connected on a 30-yard touchdown over Blessuan Austin. The Jets' pass rush had some early success but the Packers got their quick passing game going, especially on slant routes;
- Wilson was under more pressure on the next series with an unblocked safety blitzing off the left side for a sack. He did complete to Crowder over the middle under pressure from Smith though;
- Mike White connected downfield with Josh Malone but it would have been another sack;
- Corey Davis dropped a Wilson pass but then caught a pass on the next play;
- Becton gave up another would-be sack, then Fant and Dan Feeney also got beaten, forcing Wilson to scramble;
- The defense buckled down on the next series, forcing multiple incompletions;
- After a short break, the teams moved onto red zone work. Deuce Carter made a play in coverage and Tanzel Smart blew up a run but the Packers also had a couple of good completions, including one where Javelin Guidry was beaten over the middle;
- CJ Mosley also got beaten for a touchdown by the tight end;
- Bryce Hall stopped Davante Adams for a short gain after a completion;
- La'Mical Perine ran for a 12-yard touchdown in red zone drills, running behind Fant and Greg Van Roten;
- Becton gave up another sack to Smith on an inside move;
- Austin broke up a pass in the end zone;
- Wilson also had a few red zone passes broken up;
- Jarrad Davis laid out a Packers player with a big hit that saw him removed from the field and inflamed tensions between the players;
- Carl Lawson forced a rushed throw with pressure off the edge and then followed that up with a sack;
- Wilson attempted to drive the field from halfway, but the first drive went three and out;
- Wilson's second drive saw Tevin Coleman rushing for a first down but then the drive stalled with consecutive coverage sacks;
- Ace Carter had a few good runs;
- White connected with Malone again, this time for a touchdown. It was Malone's third long catch of the day;
- In a two-minute drill, the Packers were up first with Deuce Carter making a play in coverage but Marcus Maye giving up a first down;
- Bryce Huff beat his man for what would have been a sack on the next play and then Hall broke up a deep ball;
- After another first down completion, Hall had another pass breakup;
- The drive ended with an easy 33-yard touchdown on a blown coverage;
- Wilson was up next and he found Crowder for a first down under pressure but then had a pass dropped by Keelan Cole;
- Wilson failed to hit Davis deep but then hit him on the next play over the middle for a third down conversion and then connected with with Davis once more on the next play;
- Becton was beaten for another sack by Smith but Wilson hit Herndon over the middle. However, the drive stalled at the 30; and
- The Packers second unit also drove down and threw a three-yard touchdown against the Jets backups on their two-minute drill with Brandin Echols being called for pass interference on the drive.
There is another joint practice tomorrow at the same time, so check back here then for more.