The Jets were on the practice field over the road from Lambeau Field on Thursday for the second of two scheduled joint practices with Saturday night's preseason opponent, the Green Bay Packers.
The big story today was an injury for Jets' star pass rusher Carl Lawson, who was carted off with a left leg injury.
#Jets pass-rusher Carl Lawson, one of their big free agent signings, suffered a lower leg at practice today and he’s having an MRI on his Achilles, per me and @MikeGarafolo. If it is torn, Lawson would be out for the season.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 19, 2021
Here's what else went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:
- Quinnen Williams returned to do team drills on a limited basis;
- Jason Pinnock did not practice but should be back soon. He has a bruised knee;
- Isaiah Dunn was in for Bless Austin to start the team period;
- Zach Wilson threw an early interception to Jaire Alexander on a bad throw intended for Chris Herndon but the running game was effective early;
- Carl Lawson blew up a run and John Franklin-Myers had a sack early on defensively;
- Isaiah Dunn and Marcus Maye gave up first downs in coverage on a dump off and deep ball respectively;
- Sheldon Rankins limped off with an early injury and went inside with the training staff;
- The Packers went 2-for-4 in the redzone with Javelin Guidry and Isaiah Dunn giving up scores. Mosley stopped the tight end short of the goal line and forced a fumble and the other was thrown away due to pressure;
- Wilson drew Preston Smith offside with a hard count;
- The Packers had more red zone success but Wilson had some success of his own on touchdown passes to Tevin Coleman and Corey Davis;
- A fight broke out between the Jets defense and Packers offense after Brandin Echols got into it with Randall Cobb;
- Denzel Mims limped off after an apparent injury and left the field on a cart, although this was later said to be precautionary;
- Wilson hit Jeff Smith for two first downs in the space of a few plays;
- Rodgers hit on a deep connection to Davante Adams, working against Bryce Hall;
- Preston Smith bull-rushed George Fant into Wilson's lap for a sack;
- The Packers moved the ball easily on a scripted drive, which ended with a 25-yard touchdown to the tight end over Marcus Maye;
- Ace Carter scored a touchdown after taking a short pass from Mike White and turning it upfield, with Herndon springing him on a block that took out two defenders;
- Hamilcar Rashed gave up a big play on a busted coverage;
- The Jets tried a drive but it was over in four plays after a completion to Jamison Crowder was followed by a sack on second and short and two incompletions;
- The Packers next drive started with a couple of first down completions and then Hall was beaten for a potential 45-yard touchdown that the receiver dropped;
- The drive ended with a Sharrod Neasman interception after Jarrad Davis deflected the pass;
- On a two-minute drill against the Packers reserves, Wilson kept the drive alive by finding Corey Davis on fourth down;
- Wilson then almost connected with Davis on a deep touchdown but overthrew the pass with Davis open;
- On the next play, he rolled out and hit Berrios deep for a 40-yard touchdown, although it may have been a sack; and
- Zane Lewis was also carted off after an injury.
There is a day off tomorrow before Saturday afternoon's preseason game between these two teams.