We were in attendance for yesterday's Green-White Scrimmage so now we can share our in-depth recap, with plays charted in real-time.
Zach Wilson's first attempt was intended for Corey Davis down the seam and broken up by Bryce Hall, although there was a lot of contact. He then hit a nicely timed back shoulder completion to Tyler Conklin over Javelin Guidry. Tevin Coleman then dropped a check down with Del'Shawn Phillips in coverage. Garrett Wilson was the primary target but Sauce Gardner stayed with him on the outside break.
Joe Flacco hit Irvin Charles over the middle again Jason Pinnock and Braxton Berrios on a stop route in front of Deuce Carter. His deep throw to Davis was incomplete with Hall physical again in coverage.
Mike White's slant route to Rashard Davis was dropped but Rachad Wildgoose appeared to commit pass interference. Elijah Moore then also dropped a deep throw with Gardner also physical down the field. White then overthrew Jeff Smith with Brandin Echols in coverage.
11-on-11 first set
Wilson checked down to Conklin for a first down with Jordan Whitehead covering in the flat. Ace Carter and Bryce Hall were then stuffed by John Franklin-Myers and Quinnen Williams.
With Flacco in, Hall was stopped by Jacob Martin for a gain of about five. Coleman was then stuffed by Micheal Clemons and Flacco couldn't find anyone so he ran for about eight.
White's only pass was wide, intended for Tarik Black outside with Wildgoose covering. Tim Ward almost got to White but Grant Hermanns recovered well. Two runs were stuffed with Luq Barcoo and Hamilcar Rashed in on the stop.
11-on-11 second set
Wilson wasn't on the same page with Braxton Berrios as Berrios sat down underneath but Wilson anticipated a whip route. He then hit Conklin for about 20 down the seam with Quincy Williams covering. After Carl Lawson jumped offside, Wilson stepped up and hit Smith with Mekhi Becton impressively flattening his man on the edge.
Flacco hit short completions to CJ Uzomah and Conklin but then missed Corey Davis out wide. His last pass was an out pattern to Charles against Wildgoose. Phillips was in coverage on the Uzomah pass and Nathan Shepherd beat Herbig with an inside move on the Conklin pass.
White overthrew Bam Knight on his only pass after the pocket collapsed. Knight also got a carry which Tanzel Smart blew up in the backfield, beating Derrick Kelly.
Live Scrimmage - 1st Half
- Mann kicked off, Calvin Jackson return to the 25. Wilson at QB.
- Uzomah for 7 in the flat but Conor McDermott gets injured
- Quincy Williams stops Carter for 2
- Wilson takes off and runs for a first as pressure comes late
- They replayed third down and Carter was stopped by Martin but got to the marker.
- Becton false start
- Wilson to Garrett Wilson for five yards against Gardner. Martin almost got past Becton but he did a good job of recovering to stay on him
- Corey Davis decent gain on a WR screen with Chuma Edoga looking good out in front
- Play action but Wilson holds onto it and runs for 15
- Hall with a nice run sets up 1st and 10 at the 15.
- Carter was stuffed as Sheldon Rankins stood up Max Mitchell to blow it up and Quincy Williams cleaned up in the backfield
- Low catch for six yards by Smith out wide
- Quick slant to Conklin for a touchdown which Eddy Pineiro converted.
- Flacco was up next after Berrios had a nice kickoff return past the 30. Wildgoose chased him out.
- Dump off first down to Coleman against Kwon Alexander
- Coleman slips in the hole with Will Parks in on the stop
- Rollout and complete to Black, diving catch with Echols covering
- Mims downfield over the middle against Echols, with pressure around the outside by Jermaine Johnson
- Knight run stopped by Parks
- Nice gain on WR screen to Jackson with Black making the key block on Guidry
- Knight for five, stopped by Isaiah Dunn
- Knight eludes Kai Nacua to get the first down
- Perine with a short touchdown behind a pulling Nate Herbig, although this may actually have been marked short
- Flacco to Jackson by the pylon in front of Dunn for what was announced as a two-pointer but may just have been a touchdown because Zuerlein kicked an extra point after it.
- Wilson got one more first half series, working from the defense's 35
- Smith drop, down the field with Lamarcus Joyner covering, after Wilson rolled out
- A lot happened here. What looked like a spectacular deep touchdown on an over the shoulder catch by Wilson against Gardner was actually out of bounds anyway. The play may have been blown dead due to pressure from Quinnen Williams inside and there was also a penalty which may have been offensive holding. Edoga tweaked an ankle but stayed in
- Lawson flushed Wilson from the pocket and Franklin-Myers chased him to the sideline for a short gain
- 3rd-and-9 nice timing on the quick slant to Berrios in front of Carter with nice pass protection up front
- Hall no gain stopped by Ward
- Conklin five yard catch outside, stopped by Quincy Williams
- Wilson rolls right to escape late pressure from Quincy Williams and Berrios tried to make a low catch downfield against Carter. They rule it incomplete and the offense settles for a Pineiro field goal but Berrios was insisting he had it and replays showed that maybe he did.
Special Teams Interlude
Pineiro made field goals from 33, 40, 47 and 53. Zuerlein missed from 47 but made the rest.
Live Scrimmage - Second Half
- No more kickoffs but White was up first
- Dump to an open Cager in the flat for a first down
- La'Mical Perine stopped for a short gain with Rashed and Jamien Sherwood in on the stop and a flag on the play
- Dump outside to Rashard Davis against Dunn. Smart bull rushed Herbig into White's lap
- Perine stopped for a short gain by Tony Adams
- Clemons stops Knight near the line but ruled a first down
- Mims short gain on a WR screen but flag on the play for what looked like a Guidry face mask
- Guidry blitzed and White got it to Knight in the flat but Adams blew it up
- White overthrew Keshunn Abram as Johnson beat Kelly for a pressure. Defensive holding was called on Cager's man away from the ball
- Both penalties were ignored, forcing a punt which Smith tried to down at the two yard line only to boot it back to the 15
- Wilson deep to Moore but a tough drop with Hall covering. Back stayed in to double Lawson, who still got pressure
- Screen to Berrios for five with Moore blocking
- Franklin-Myers inside move would probably have been a sack but defensive holding is called on Gardner to extend the drive as play continued and Wilson overthrew Moore deep
- Carter cut back and tried to spin out of Hall's tackle outside but it was blown dead there
- Hall nice run with a big hole over the left side
- Hall again for seven more
- Mitchell false start
- Good protection on play action but Hall steps in front of Wilson downfield and almost intercepts it
- Next play, Phillips steps in front of Uzomah and does intercept Wilson.
- Flacco up next but the first run is stuffed as third string center Parker Ferguson is blown up by Smart with Clemons also in on it.
- Quick pass to Jackson with Guidry holding it to a short gain
- Blown coverage, Yeboah catch in flat takes it upfield for about 35
- Bad drop by Rashard Davis on the slant
- Sherwood stuffed Perine in the hole
- Flacco bobbled the snap and probably would have been sacked by Jabari Zuniga. Play continues and Rashard Davis drops it again out wide
- They settle for a 56 yard field goal which Zuerlein nails impressively.
Two Minute Drills
- Wilson to Corey Davis for the first down on the Quick slant
- Dump to Conklin for six yards
- Lawson sack
- Quick pass dumped off to Conklin for a first down
- Huff beats Edoga for the sack
- Wilson, with pressure in his face, throws slightly behind Corey Davis down the seam and Davis drops it
- Uzomah for seven on 3rd-and-14 with Edoga notably doing a good job on Quinnen Williams
- On fourth down Wilson rolls out to extend the play and sends Corey Davis deep but Gardner stays with him and the pass is high
- White dumps to Yeboah for seven yards against Sherwood with Clemons nearly getting home
- Zuniga with pressure against Mitchell off the edge, downfield throw to Wilson is too high and off his fingertips with Dunn covering
- Dump to Wilson for a first down with Zuniga pushing Mitchell back for another pressure, with 15 yards tacked on due to some kind of penalty
- Parks' interception down the field ends practice.
- DJ Reed, Ty Johnson and Justin Hardee were among those who didn't practice. Others not seen included Jeremy Ruckert and Vinny Curry.
- The Jets are definitely viewing Ferguson, the former Air Force tackle as a center now. Speaking of centers, Dan Feeney actually played guard and with Ross Pierschbacher snapping on the second unit.
- Despite some talk this week that Corey Davis is a full time slot receiver now, he still played plenty on the outside.
- Kwon Alexander didn't work with the first team although he reportedly has during some other practices.
- Jason Pinnock worked with the second unit as Lamarcus Joyner was starting.
- George Fant played left tackle during the 11-on-11 but skipped the live scrimmage. McDermott replaced him but then got hurt immediately, so Edoga took over.
- Becton played in 11-on-11 and most of the first half of the scrimmage before giving way to Mitchell.
- Chris Streveler, the fourth quarterback, did not play.
- Shepherd was the first guy in at defensive tackle alongside Quinnen Williams.