Here were some of the more interesting comments from Todd Bowles following Wednesday's practice:
- In respect of Darron Lee's reported weight gain (from 221 to 236) he said if Lee can gain some strength without losing any speed, that will be big for him.
- The competition for the starting role at right tackle is a "hell of a battle". The center competition is also a good battle.
- Brandon Shell is strong and came back to camp having re-shaped his body. The game is slowing down for him and he's starting to "get it". He'd prefer not to use a rotation at right tackle, but will think about it.
- Having so many position battles isn't bad for continuity because the team has to be prepared for different players to play together due to injuries anyway.
- Lucky Whitehead will need surgery on his broken foot. It was reported earlier that Whitehead will miss 4-6 weeks and Bowles said he could return this year. (Note: If the Jets want to put him on injured reserve with a designation to return, they have to keep him on the roster through final cuts).
- They talked through some topical issues, but Bowles didn't have anything particularly groundbreaking or unexpected to say on the subject.
We'll let you know if anyone else says anything interesting.