Here were some of the more interesting comments from Todd Bowles following Monday's practice:
- Bowles confirmed reports that Doug Middleton has a torn pec and will be out for a while.
- Practice was sluggish and sloppy, hard but not smart.
- He made them run because if you have energy to scuffle, you have energy to run and if you have energy to run, you have energy to practice.
- He's not too concerned about the fight, saying that this means camp is officially underway.
- They'll keeping bringing Bilal Powell and Matt Forté along slowly and see how they respond to the work done today.
- Christian Hackenberg did his job on Saturday and took what the defense gave him. Some of the short passes were designed and some were check-downs.
- He judges a quarterback by wins, so he isn't concerned that Hackenberg didn't put up any points.
- It's too early to assume Bryce Petty is a distant third in the quarterback competition based on reps because the reps will even out as we go through preseason.
- The kicker battle isn't over yet despite Chandler Catanzaro's recent struggles and they are in a good competition.
- They had artificial crowd noise today because they're playing on the road in a dome on Saturday.
- That piped-in noise was a non-factor in the number of sacks because they simply didn't do a good job of picking them up. Sometimes it was on the line, sometimes the quarterbacks and sometimes the receivers.
- Lucky Whitehead has a foot injury and Freddie Bishop a stinger.
- Dexter McDougle came back in a great shape and played well on Saturday but he'd like to see him turn some of those break-ups into interceptions.
We'll let you know if anyone else says anything interesting.