The Jets were back on the field for their first practice of the week today. Here's what went down:
- Matt Forté and Bilal Powell got some work in running back drills but didn't do team drills.
- Lorenzo Mauldin and Dylan Donahue were back in pads, while Frank Beltre was in the rehab area and Saturday's starter, Freddie Bishop, did not practice.
- New signing Daniel Williams joined the team and got reps in punt return drills.
- Ronald Martin moved up to the second unit with Doug Middleton out.
- In individual drills, Charone Peake beat Morris Claiborne to catch a long pass from Bryce Petty and then Robby Anderson beat Juston Burris to catch a long pass from Christian Hackenberg.
- Josh McCown, Elijah McGuire, Josh Martin and Brent Qvale were among the starters in 11-on-11 work.
- Wesley Johnson and James Carpenter had to run laps after a false start and Johnson ended up spending most of the day with the back-ups.
- McCown was sharp early on in 11-on-11's, connecting with Anderson, ArDarius Stewart and Marquess Wilson, but his first drive ended when Saturday stand-out Dexter McDougle broke up a pass.
- Steve McLendon overpowered Jonnotthan Harrison to sack Hackenberg. Hackenberg otherwise was pretty sharp, although he and McCown both struggled in red zone work.
- Derrick Jones intercepted Bryce Petty on a deep throw into triple coverage that went off the hands of Anderson. Later on, Jones deflected a Petty pass that was intercepted by Connor Harris.
- Petty bounced back during red zone work with consecutive touchdowns to Chris Harper and Myles White.
- Kelvin Beachum and Mauldin got into a fight with Mauldin throwing a punch that led to the whole team running gassers and a two-minute lecture for the whole team from Todd Bowles.
- Chandler Catanzaro missed three field goals, including a chip shot. Ross Martin made all six of his kicks.
- It was a testy session, with McCown barking back at offensive coordinator John Morton at one point.
- The defense once again registered a lot of sacks in team portions (around 12, including two by Demario Davis) and the offense had a handful of drops.
- Hackenberg threw a touchdown to Harper in red zone work, although it might have gone down as a Patrick Gamble sack.
We'll let you know if anyone says anything interesting after practice.